Biplane

Avro Tutor

Global Anchor Limited

Avro Tutor

Avro Tutor History
The Avro Tutor was a pilot training aircraft designed, by A.V. Roe's chief designer Roy Chadwick, as a replacement for the RAF's aging Avro 504k biplane primary trainer. Like the older Avro 504, it was of biplane design and was covered with doped linen. The airframe, however, was made from tubular steel rather than the wooden frame used on it's predecessor.

Avro Tutor First Flight
The Avro Tutor's first flight was made in September 1929, with Captain Harry Albert Brown at the conrols, A.V. Roe's chief test pilot. It entered RAF service in 1933 and had a total production run of 606 aircraft. At the outbreak of WW2, it was replaced by cheaper and more basic aircraft, such as the Tiger Moth, that were more practical to build in great numbers.

Avro Tutor Users
Like it's predecessor, this aircraft had good handling characteristics and was chosen as a primary trainer by numerous foreign air forces prior to WW2. These included the Greek Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, Irish Air Force, Polish Air Force, South African Air Force and of course Great Britain's Royal Air Force, who operated 417 of them.

Avro Tutor Floatplanes
Fifteen were produced as two-seater floatplanes, and designated the Avro 646 Sea Tutor. Five of these remained in RAF service at the outbreak of WW2.
Various scale models, model kits and plans of this aircraft have been available in the market place.

Avro Tutor Specifications:

Avro Tutor Crew:
Pilot and trainee in tandem
Avro Tutor Engine:
Single 215/240-h.p. Armstrong Siddeley "Lynx IVC" engine
Avro Tutor Gross weight:
2,548 lb (1,115 kg)
Avro Tutor Wing span:
34 ft 0 in (10.37 m)
Avro Tutor Length:
26ft 4.5 in (8.04 m)
Avro Tutor Service ceiling:
16,207 ft (4940 m)
Avro Tutor Max speed:
122 mph (196 km/h)
Mobile Website Menu

Privacy Statement

Cookie Policy

Copyright 2015

Global Anchor Limited

Modified 2018

By

Quantcast